Student-athletes from Kingwood and area high schools pitched in to begin the clean up from Hurricane Harvey. Sports and rivalries became secondary as Mustangs, Panthers, Eagles, and more joined together to help those in need from the devastating flood waters left in Harvey’s wake.

Summer Creek donated equipment to Kingwood, which lost nearly all of its own in a flood that has closed the high school campus for a restoration that could extend the entire 2017-18 school year. The building is unsafe and unhealthy.
Kingwood students will be housed at Summer Creek at least for the remainder of the first semester, which is tentatively scheduled to resume on Sept. 11.
Volleyball coach Ashley Earhart, a 1995 graduate of the school, set up a GoFundMe for families affected by flooding. Nearly $5,000 was reached in just the first two days.
“I don’t know that I can think of a word that describes what I’m feeling,” said Earhart. “This community is an amazing community! I just keep replaying the last line of our school song in my head, ‘through life’s struggles we recall, Kingwood’s blue and white!’ We stick together.” 

Kingwood volleyball coach Ashley Earhart meets with her team before their first practice at Riverwood Middle School after Hurricane Harvey.

Both the Kingwood and Kingwood Park volleyball teams skipped a tournament at Disney in Orlando to remain home with family. It has been reported that at least 15 members of the Kingwood volleyball team and their families were evacuated and suffered much property loss.
Head football coach Barry Campbell said he credits hard work from Humble ISD Athletics Director Troy Kite in getting the football team back up and running again. The Mustangs are tentatively scheduled to play a scrimmage on Friday with Fort Bend Austin.
To donate, vist gofundme.com/kingwood-strong.

Since you’re here …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading hoabinhre than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. hoabinhre's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Author: Tribune StaffEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.